Global Investor Networks
Corporate & VC Judges
Pro-Bono Legal Services
OCT 5, 2020
NOV 10, 2020
DEC 17, 2020
JAN 27, 2021
Finalists pitch at
GCV Digital Forum
Select finalist pitch at XTC Global Finals
The UC Startup Innovation Challenge is an annual systemwide entrepreneur competition that highlights the impressive innovations of the UC community. Launched in 2016 by the UC Office of the President, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Office, this challenge draws student, faculty and staff participants from all ten campuses, five medical centers, three affiliated national labs, and the broader alumni entrepreneur network. Participants will gain exposure to global funder and investor networks, increase visibility for corporate collaborations, and be reviewed by world-class VC judges.
The top five finalists of each track (Early Stage and Growth Stage) will be selected to pitch at the final showcase during the GCV Digital Forum. One Winner of each track will be selected by venture capitalist judges at the final showcase. The contest is being held in partnership with Extreme Tech Challenge (XTC), the world’s largest startup competition for entrepreneurs addressing global challenges. All applicants to the UC Startup Innovation Challenge will be automatically entered into XTC. UC Startup Innovation Challenge winners will automatically advance as finalists in XTC’s regional startup competition.
XTC CORPORATE & VC AUDIENCE
GCV DIGITAL FORUM CORPORATE & VC AUDIENCE
UC SYSTEMWIDE OPPORTUNITY FOR
Ten finalists will have the opportunity to deliver a pitch to 500+ corporate venture capital investors at the GCV Digital Forum and the additional benefits of:
- Open to all startups founded by at least one UC person (student, faculty, alumni, staff, postdoc, or visiting scholar).
- Open to startups across all verticals (with particular interest for tech for good startups and diverse funding teams). Please also reference XTC Key Categories.
- Early Stage track for startups that have not yet raised Series A funding and are in the pre-product-market stage
- Growth Stage track for startups that have proof points in product-market fit or have already raised Series A funding.
Judges will evaluate each startup on the below four criteria:
- Team: Is this team uniquely qualified to build this startup? Do they understand their customers and their industry well? Do they have the grit to carry this through?
- Product or Service Innovation: Is the product or service innovative? Is it differentiated from competitive offerings?
- Product Market Fit: Is there a signal that customers will value their offering? Is the market size large?
- Tech for Good: Does this startup impact people’s lives and/or the environment? Will this startup improve the lives of a large number of people? And/or will this startup make a deep and meaningful impact on individual lives? Do the company’s business practices show a commitment to diversity, sustainability, and social good